Review for our Outstanding Partners

Best Partner

Discovering Your Natural Self at a Korean Traditional Temple - Woljeongsa Temple

• KOREA TOUR CARD(basic)
  • Recommended Tour Courses
  • Recommended Tour Courses Recommended Tour Courses

In the midst of the busy repetitiveness of everyday life, do you ever wonder, "Who am I?" and "What is it that I want to do?" Whenever I asked myself these questions, I thought about how I wanted to meditate in a quiet place and really try to discover who I am. Hence, the one thing that I wanted to do most when planning my trip to Korea was "temple stay". I thought it would be awesome to focus on myself, without any distractions, at a temple surrounded by nature. I'm finally visiting Woljeongsa Temple today! Would you like to join me?

From Jinbu Station to Woljeongsa Temple with the KOREA TOUR CARD

I took the KTX train from Sangbong Station in Seoul and enjoyed the view outside the train window, and arrived at Jinbu Station in 1 hour. I used the KOREA TOUR CARD to reach Woljeongsa Temple. I took a taxi from Jinbu Station to the Jinbu Bus Terminal, then took a bus for a 40-minute ride to Woljeongsa Temple. The endless mountains and trees of Korea made my ride to the temple all the more pleasant.

Woljeongsa Temple Stay - Enjoy with a discount with the KOREA TOUR CARD

The fir tree forest trail of Odaesan Mountain on the way to Woljeongsa Temple appeared in the popular K-drama "Guardian: The Lonely and Great God", and was awarded in the Beautiful Forest Contest. I walked up the trail to the temple, breathing in the fragrance of the clustered fir trees, and came to the signboard of Woljeongsa Temple that greeted me.

I arrived at the temple stay building in Woljeongsa Temple for consultation. The Woljeongsa Temple Stay offers relaxation temple stay and experience temple stay, and I chose the experience temple stay. I received a 10% discount on experience fees with the KOREA TOUR CARD, which made the start to my temple stay even better. 

[Start of temple stay - Day 1] Day for emptying the mind

The first day of the temple stay was the "day for emptying the mind". I changed into the clothes that were provided, and I learned about basic temple etiquette. I remember the "half bow" distinctly, which is the obligatory practice of putting one's hands together and bowing slightly when meeting a monk or when passing the tower or sanctum. The act of humbling myself and familiarizing myself with the temple manners of respecting others was extremely meaningful, and it felt like I was in a whole new world while learning Buddhist etiquette in a Korean traditional temple.

As I attended a Buddhist service of bowing to the Buddha along with the sound of the monk's wooden block and amidst the tranquility of Woljeongsa Temple, the worries and stress of life began to feel all too trivial.

After the evening meal, I went to "Jonggoru" for the bell experience. The clear but deep ringing of the large bell healed my weary heart.

I finally had the chance to experience making the rosary with 108 beads, which is what interested me most about the temple stay. This is an experience of bowing once and putting a bead through the thread. This is repeated 108 times to complete the rosary with 108 beads. The monk said that the process of bowing and putting the beads through the thread would help to rid the mind of distracting thoughts, but it was hard to do at first because I wasn't used to the practice of bowing. However, I eventually got the hang of it and was able to fully concentrate on my own movements and the present moment.

[From the virtue of emptying to true gratification - Day 2] Filling the mind

On the second day of the temple stay, I took time to fill up our minds that I had emptied the day before. I attended the early morning Buddhist service, had breakfast including the offering to the Buddha, and had teatime with the monk. We drank tea that was brewed slowly, and meditated on emptying and filling as we let go of the fatigue and stress of everyday life, filling ourselves instead with composure for introspection.

Up until that moment, traveling had been an activity of consumption and enjoyment to forget my everyday troubles. However, through this Woljeongsa Temple Stay experience of letting go of greed and emptying the self, I learned to fully understand "myself". This is an experience I will never forget, and is one that I would recommend to other foreign visitors who wish to gain the same experience. How would you like to bring your KOREA TOUR CARD and experience the Woljeongsa Temple Stay with a lightened body and mind?

• KOREA TOUR CARD Benefits
  • Fare
    (benefit price)

Relaxation Templestay KRW 80,000 → KRW 72,000 / Experiential Templestay KRW 90,000 → KRW 81,000 

• Address
  • Inquiry
  • 이용시간
  • Closed days

-

• Transportation

Take the "Jinbu-Woljeongsa Temple" bus from the Jinbu Bus Terminal 

• Reminders

Online reservation is available 

Places you may visit

• Woljeongsa Temple Fir Tree Forest Trail
    • The Woljeongsa Temple Fir Tree Forest Trail is representative forest trail of Korea, and is the filming location of the popular drama "Guardian: The Lonely and Great God". The fir trees are thick and green all year round, and the forest is popular as a place of rejuvenation for travelers. 

-

• Address 350-1, Odaesan-ro, Jinbu-myeon, Pyeongchang-gun, Gangwon-do
    • Inquiry

-

• Samyang Farm 홈페이지
    • The Daegwallyeong Samyang Farm is the largest ranch in East Asia. Visitors can encounter sheep, calves, and ostriches in spacious pastures and go to the observatory at the top of the farm for a view of the ocean. 

KRW 2,000 discount on the admission fee. 

• Address 708-9 Kkotbatyangji-gil, Daegwallyeong-myeon, Pyeongchang-gun, Gangwon-do
    • Inquiry

+82 33-335-5044